Friday 28 June 2013

My sister, her wife and Jonathan.

It's been a while since I've been here, longing to find the words that match the thoughts in my head.

This post is difficult, difficult because the topic is difficult. I love my sister and her wife. I call her her wife because she is. Legally or not, in my eyes they depict true love and love is love right?

For lots of us it's simple. We track the month, know when we're ovulating, do the deed and presto 9 months later its baby time. Think of that, if you're one of the lucky ones, like me, then really think of that. I wish it could be that simple for the people who need it to be. The people like my sister and her wife. 

The amount of unconditional love that they have to give is extraordinary. I know this because I see it, I see it everyday. Everyday when I get a text from them to see how my son is, I drop JJ at their place to babysit, they pop over unannounced just to see him. It's that unconditional love that we understand as adults. The love our parents had for us, their parents for them and us for our children. 

I see them and how they play, laugh, educate and interact with my son. I see how my sons face lights up when he sees them. He knows them and even if only 7 months old, I know he trusts them, I know he loves them. They are his '2nd and 3rd mummy' as I like to call them or zia (aunty in Italian).

I was lucky enough to have my sister with me throughout my labour and when I gave birth to Jonathan. I can honestly say that I've never felt so connected to her in my entire life. With just a look she knew what I needed, my concerns, my thoughts. The same connection she now shares with JJ. Like I as his mother know him, so does she. Without a doubt in the world, she's the one I trust the most with my little man.

When I sit and reflect on them as parents, I know they'd be perfect. Ok, not perfect, what parents are? but GREAT.  Often it breaks my heart because I know this simple joy doesn't come as easy as it does for me. What comforts me is that without them even knowing it they are parents.

See it as you do, the dictionary defines a parent as "One who begets, gives birth to, or nurtures and raises a child; a father or mother.

This is what they do, so this is what they are. They help me, along with my husband, to raise our son. Like us, they instil the values, morals and guidelines into Jonathan that will allow him to one day become a man and face the world with all that we have given him.

They spoil him rotten, but thats ok, they can do that for now. xx



















2 comments:

  1. Beautifully written and so very true

    ReplyDelete
  2. so enjoyed that.. awesome moment of reflection in your beautiful life ~peace~

    ReplyDelete

My weight loss journey